1) Which garden do you grow–flower, vegetable or both?
Vegetable, but we do have flower beds with potted plants for ease of looking after since we camp/vacation a lot during the summer.
2) Favourite flower and/or veggie to plant & why?
Petunias are pretty hardy and easy to look after and I like planting peas since they are so enjoyable and yummy to eat.
3) What is the one garden fresh fruit/veggie that you simply cannot wait to eat first?
This would be a tie between peas and cucumbers. I love going out and picking a fresh cucumber with lunch, and many pea pods get eaten right off of the vine.
4) Which fruit/vegetable is the easiest and/or trickiest to grow?
It depends on the kind of year it is (dry, wet), but usually we can count on potatoes to come through for us, and while we try to go grow melons which I love to eat, our growing season usually isn’t long enough.
5) While most fruit/vegetable are best when harvested young, which ones are best after a light frost?
Any type of root vegetable like carrots, potatoes often become sweeter as do some apple tree varieties.
6) Have you ever planted anything that was a surprise in how it turned out?
We did manage to grow both a pineapple and a watermelon, both of which were excellent tasting. This year, we are trying honeydew and cantaloupe, but it’s been so wet that I doubt that they will get the sun/heat that they need.
7) Aside from weeding, what is the one thing you dislike about keeping a garden?
Unless grown on a trellis, peas are an awful job to pick when the vines are left to flop over on the ground.
8) What is something that you learned about gardening the hard way?
Be sure to thin out your carrots otherwise they will grow too close together to pull and don’t leave them in the ground until their roots are too big to pull out as they will simply break off.
9) For someone new to planting, what is one piece of advice that you would give them?
Try to keep on top of weeding and watering it.
10) What is your favourite and/or easiest recipe to make using one of your fresh garden ingredients?
Ice cream pail pickles are super easy to do for those who don’t like all of the work of canning and you can’t go wrong with fresh zucchini made into muffins or chocolate cake.
Your turn, if you wish. I’d be really interested in hearing in my comments section about number ten especially. 🙂