Ironically, today’s word prompt on WordPress is ‘Passenger’. Most ironic in our case and perhaps a further sign that we did the right thing in cancelling our impending trip, as my husband and I were supposed to be a passengers on a plane headed to Hawaii tomorrow. But, I guess it just wasn’t meant to be…
After months of saving, planning and booking, the stars just seemingly have not aligned on this one, and I am not going to lie–we are definitely disappointed! But, we are both fairly level-headed and we are well-aware that there are certainly worse things in life, much worse in fact, than not being able to leave on a vacation. And so, we are doing our best to keep things in perspective from a logical standpoint, I guess we just need a few moments to let our hearts catch up with our heads. The anticipation, the build-up, the readying–all for naught.
So, what gives you may ask? Or, maybe you are not at all interested in hearing the details, which is okay too because I will admit that this post is selfishly for me–an outlet, if you will, after a not-so-great day. Perhaps some of my fellow writers/bloggers/readers can relate?!
Last weekend, while out camping, my husband developed shingles. The blisters became infected earlier this week requiring further medications (apparently common), but luckily the doctor said that no other course of action was necessary and that travel would be okay. We were/are VERY grateful, as the shingles are located just above his right eye. It could have been different.
Just when we thought we were in the clear and all was good, my husband emerged from our bedroom yesterday morning, looking quite concerned. He proceeded to tell me that he had killed 5 or 6 flying ants in our bath/bedrooms and that we MIGHT have a problem. Sure enough, we did! A carpenter ant problem to be exact, leaving us to have chased down 50-60 of the flying buggers in a VERY short period of time. So, not just a problem, more like an infestation. Stay calm, right? Right! Next step? Call pest control. Just one small issue…we are Canadian and this is the Canada Day Long Weekend. Who would be able to help us and just as importantly, WHEN could they get here? (Add to that the fact that we live out in the country.) After many failed phone attempts, I called back one of the few companies that had answered and literally pleaded our sordid case, insisting that we could not wait until mid-week. Two hours later, our prayers were answered (well, kind of....). One of their technicians agreed to come out today at their ‘holiday’ rate.
Nice fellow. Very knowledgeable. Explained the situation and helped us to realize that this could be a long, drawn-out battle of sorts. We already knew this deep-down, but had silently hoped for a small miracle. I had started packing (a feat for any lady), we house-cleaned madly and worked like horses to get our yard/garden ship-shape….AND then, we picked up the phone and called our airline carrier. We had to cancel. There was no choice. Soon after, we began prepping the house for inside and outside chemical treatments, only to be later doused with rain one hour after the spraying such that we will likely have to call the exterminator back again. But, hey…that’s just the way “the cookie bounces”, as my dad would say.
The good news in all of this? After spending the whole afternoon on the phone/internet, we have managed to re-book our flights, move our condo reservation, change our car rental and parking arrangements, re-book a second vacation package which conflicted with the new condo agreement/dates and we are….WIPED!, relieved, sad, disappointed, elated, exhausted, and on alert for flying ants, not flying Passengers.
“This too shall pass.”
P.S. Happy 150th Birthday, Canada:-).